Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hello, cello fellow

As a copy editor, one of my jobs is to write headlines.

They are a bit of a word problem. You are given a certain number of letters and have to make it interesting.

I won't suggest I'm amazing. But I've received an award.*

A few weeks ago, I received a piece of art for a page. Now, when there is just one piece of art with no story included, we, in the biz, call it "wild art." That makes us sound tougher than we actually are. "Hey, I've grabbed that wild art. It was a tough mean bastard, but I took care of it."

When you work in a newsroom, it is sometimes fun to act tough.

Anyway, the wild art was of two boys looking at a teenage boy showing off his musical skills. With a cello.

One of the early lessons I learned in journalism was drink alcohol often. And also, your first instinct on your writing is probably right. So I looked at the photo and added the "kicker" (a little headline above the "wild art" that also sounds a little threatening) "Hello, cello fellow."

Almost instantly, I hated it. It was simple. It rhymed. It was silly. It was dumb.

I looked at the photo again, and couldn't think of anything else. I was pressed for a little deadline time, so I just OK'd the kicker and hoped I'd never hear about it again. Nor did I want anyone to mention it.

A few hours later, the newspaper is printing and my bosses are looking at the edition.

"'Hello, cello fellow?'" my boss said. "Who came up with that?"

"I didn't, but I kind of like it," my other boss said.

I sank in my chair, but I also am Catholic, so I am quick to take responsibility when I'd rather run.

I raised my hand. "That's, um, mine."

"'Hello, cello fellow?'" She laughed. I felt embarrassment blazing on me like sun rays of July. "I like it," she said, not quite convincing me it was good.

Here's the thing ... it's not terrible. It's just a bit odd. I'm sure somewhere, the picture is cut out as they family has their moment of: "Hey, look at our cute kid as [he watches a cello fellow, is a cello fellow showing off his cello.]"

I looked at my co-workers, and defended myself just a little bit.

"I mean, what are you going to do with that photo? It's two kids checking out one kid, with a cello."



John J. Watkins | The Times
Josh DeVries, 15 of Chesterton, gives brothers Bennett, 3, and Max,
5, LoPiccolo of Beaufort, N.C., an impromptu cello lesson Saturday
at Thomas Centennial Park in Chesterton.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/duneland/chesterton/article_818a6eb3-45ac-5af2-ba1a-3488c984f8b9.html





* You don't care. Nor do I -- I usually forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment