Friday, September 2, 2011

Exit 21. Not gonna go there. Wouldn't be prudent..


(John L. Hendricks, The Times)

While carpooling, my co-worker and I would occasionally use Exit 21 along the Indiana Toll Road to the Borman Expressway. (Henceforce, probably known as The Bormonster). But it was closed last month, and there was conflicting reasons given. Was it just because officials didn't want traffic backing up on the Toll Road during busy summer months, or because ... you know ... it's about to look like this:


 


Generally, I was OK with driving on it. I mean, you're on it for about 24 seconds -- and really, how often do we think about the bridges we're driving on? Unless you suffer from gephyrophobia. Which, let's face it, you probably don't.

And, as many of my friend know, I already travel some of the hazardous roads in the Midwest where we have to be aware of deer, gunshots and Illinois drivers.

So freaking me out: Not easily done. However, my Scotti Senses went on high-and-mighty when state officials 1) Closed Exit 21 without prior notice. 2) Eventually noted it was closed and may be deconstructed it after, oh coincidentally, an accident may have damaged a portion of it... Sure … it could be closed forever...


and 3) another state official said: No, the bridge is fine. We’ll open it back up after Labor Day. 

One part of the problem: The wreck that caused some damage they had to check it out -- it was caused by pigs. Well, a pig truck, but still, if you're on a bridge, and inspectors are checking it out because of a crash that had pigs as a contributing factor ... it's gotta be some sort of bad luck.

And here's another part of the problem. The state official who essentially said: Everything's OK folk. Nothing to see here. Well, his name is Michael Cline.

Yes. Cline. Now, when I think of Cline, as a Chesterton High School grad, I think of two things. Walking home with Tricia Cline during freshman and sophomore years while we spoke of our hopes for the future -- or probably just worries about social studies. And also this: 



















Pretty quickly, I’m thinking of other road and bridge failures. Back in 1982, when I was old enough to read a newspaper and look at images, the Cline Avenue Bridge collapsed while it was under construction. The collapse, tragically, killed a dozen workers. And back in 2009, a new Cline Avenue bridge was closed to traffic because of safety concerns. (Although it was apparently strong enough for CGI Transformers) 



And, also in Lake County, the span of Martin Luther King Drive going over the Bormonster is closed because of its bad habit of cracking.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/article_8632f066-7054-5e6a-9514-24e26416e742.html

If I'm not thinking of those wrinkles in road history, I'm thinking this...



Now, I'm not some worry-wart who frets about the sky falling. But I do have some concerns about bridges that might not be, let's say, in awesome shape. See, I never worry about my chances in a fair fight. Like me vs. turns in a roller coaster while I'm strapped in; Me vs. a punch by a drunk Mike Tyson. Me (in my car) vs. a deer. However, even with airbag deployment and OnStar wanting me to push that little red button, I don't like my chances if I'm on (or under) a bridge that decides to lay down on the job.

So go ahead and open that bad boy up, even though I really doubt you will. It's just me, Mr. Cline, but I'm inclinded to think you're possibly a bit ingenuous in your statements. And even if you aren't, my paranoia is OK with me finding another route to work.

My drive is adventuous enough without it ending like this (minus Nazi garb)...

 
P.S., State of Indiana, I love you. You know I do. Sure, I was away for a while, but I came back. So here's some advice, free at that. When trying to assure Hoosiers that a road or bridge is in great shape, don’t use an official named Michael Cline. Nor named Jason SmashbrokenkillingHoosiersscrewyoudrivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment